Friday, October 11, 2013

Introduction

Hello friends! Oh boy! Another weight loss blog...because we don't have enough. Yes, I know there a billion weight loss blogs out there already but lets look at why that is. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, more than one-third of U.S. adults are obese! The harmful health effects of obesity are starting to make themselves known throughout families, communities, and populations nationwide. We all know someone who is obese, or we struggle with weight ourselves. I grew up ridiculously thin with a metabolism fast enough to make Usain Bolt jealous! As it turned out I had an autoimmune disorder to thank blame for that called Grave's Disease. When I was 19 I was given a radioactive type of iodine to kill my thyroid and render it completely useless. Now, instead of my body running too fast I get to experience the complete opposite. This meant I had to start watching what I ate...and I did. I watched myself eat pizza, potato chips, and McDonald's as I continued my downward spiral into obesity. 

In January 2013 we adopted our son, Jackson, and my weight issues seemed so unfair for him. I was not going to let my baby boy suffer the consequences of my poor decision making. I didn't want him mimicking my behaviors and I wanted the energy to be able to keep up with him. He was my motivator to starting my weight loss journey. 



I have a Bachelor's degree in Health Sciences and I have always had a passion for health. I knew what I needed to do, I just needed the motivation to do it! So I hired a dear friend of mine who graduated in the same program I did. She is a wonderful role model and accredited personal trainer. I lost 25 pounds but I still have a LONG way to go. Here are my before and after pictures: 


The picture on the right is me at my heaviest weight when my son was born. The two pictures on the left are me 25 pounds lighter and no longer obese! As I continue my journey I thought I would share some tips, recipes, and stories. I can't wait to share with you some of the things I have learned.  Please leave comments and suggestions! I would love to hear what you want to learn about with me! 

No comments:

Post a Comment